Stress is a major problem – at the workplace or otherwise. For every individual or organization, stress can plague productivity and leave them wrecked.
The saddest part is, it is not hard to give in to stress. During regular office work, it is not hard for employees to have anxiety about work. They have so much on their plate and the increasing need for work-life balance often leaves employees demotivated.
Many research says that stress is also related to physical body problems such as high blood pressure, dizziness, upset stomach, weak immune system, migraine, and several other illnesses. When your employees are susceptible to all these illnesses, it is not possible for them to work with full efficiency at the office.
So, what can you do about it?
Let’s find out.
We have prepared a list of things that employers can do to relieve stress at the workplace for their employees.
- Exercise is one of the best medicines for stress. All you need to do is roll out a message for creating a walking group. These people should be the ones to take the stairs and go out for a walk with a fellow employee when they are brought down by stress.
- Caffeine is known to increase stress and anxiety. Have decaf, iced-tea or more healthy options at the office to help your employees stay alert and happy. For instance, place a foosball table in your office and name the room The De-Sleep Room. Your employees can go in there and play for 5 minutes to de-stress or de-sleep themselves.
- Organize a weekly activity to wear off stressful emotions such as Yoga sessions on Friday. This will help the employee spend their weekends peacefully, which will allow them to get back to work on Monday with a refreshed mood.
- Encourage employees from different departments to go to other departments to communicate and collaborate. Organize small get-together so that people can socialize. There is nothing better than talking to someone when you are stressed.
- Place encouraging branding all over the office. All your posters and quotes should motivate employees to let go of stress and enjoy.
- The aesthetics of the workplace matter. If you look at it, the psychology of colors and décor play a major role in encouraging employees. Some colors are naturally soothing and some are not such as red is not naturally calming. It radiates the vibe of alertness.
- Allow flexible office schedules. It is possible that your employees are stressed because they are not able to make time for family. Allow them to leave early when work is done or come early and complete work before time.
- During hiring, you should clear all the requirements to the employee to reduce ambiguity. Your employees should know what they are getting into.
- Have a small unplugged session every day. For 15 minutes, just drop the gadgets, unplug, and talk, communicate, and relax.
- Instead of unhealthy snacking, motivate your employees to eat healthily. Healthy eating naturally boosts energy and mood.
- Conduct meaningful meetings with your employees to help them understand that a lot of people go through stress at workplace. It is good to know that you are not alone.
- Employ some staff to regularly clear the clutter. In fact, ask employees to clear the desk and keep it clean. Unclean spaces increase anxiety and create a negative aura.
- Ask your employees to bring their pets to work on Friday. Pets are known to reduce stress and anxiety.
One of the most important tip for HR managers is to stop micro-managing your employees. Don’t hire employees so that you can tell them to work in a certain pattern. Hire employees so that they can contribute to your growth through their innovative ideas.
This will help your employees stay motivated from the starting of their employment.